Joby Energy is a team of fanatical engineers who are pioneering a new energy future. We are on a mission to cost-effectively power the planet with high-altitude wind.
While we are growing quickly, we are exceptionally selective in who we hire. Your passion and ability should be demonstrated in your professional and academic achievements. You should be curious, driven, and devoted to your area of excellence. We look for candidates with both raw intellect and an exceptional ability to execute. We live for results, employ hierarchy only to enhance efficiency and deplore bureaucracy.
Joby Energy is a privately-held company and headquartered in Santa Cruz, CA.
We offer a competitive compensation package, benefits, and a dynamic culture (not to mention the three awesome meals we throw in each day!).
If you embrace our audacious vision and wish to join us in this exciting challenge that lies before us, please send your resume to us at:
Airframe Design Engineer
Joby Energy seeks an airframe design engineer who will be able to balance structural, controls systems, and aerodynamic requirements. You will be able to both adapt and optimize existing designs as well as create new configurations to meet project goals. Experience in detailed design process is required as you may be required to integrate electrical and control systems into the structural design of the aircraft. Tasks include developing 3D design layouts to establish structural configurations using composite materials.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree (M.S. or Ph.D. preferred) in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering;
- Requires a minimum of 5 years airframe design experience in both preliminary and detailed design working with controls systems and aerodynamics engineers;
- Proficiency in any CAD program required (Solidworks preferred);
- Experience with finite element tools preferred, especially ABAQUS or Patran;
- Excellent written, oral, computer and presentation skills required;
- Experience with composite materials manufacturing a plus.
High Power Electrical Engineer
Joby Energy seeks an EE with high voltage, high power conversion experience. You will develop prototype power converters of varying power and voltage levels. Design circuitry for conversion from turbine generator output to intermediate DC and for DC-HVDC conversion, under weight and reliability constraints. Expected switching rates are in the 10-100kHz range, power levels from 10-100kW.
You will work closely with a strong committed team of aerodynamics, mechanics, propulsion, and energy engineers and support them by developing HVDC power conversion systems to the same extreme standards of performance and reliability.
Our quick turn, prototype environment requires a self starter who loves working in a team environment with fast design, build, and test cycles.
- Bachelors, Masters or PhD in electrical engineering or a related physics/engineering discipline;
- Experience with high power (>20kW) conversion using advanced power semiconductors;
- Experience with high voltage (>5kV) design;
- Strong practical prototyping background;
- Knowledge of motor controllers advantageous.